Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Merry Christmas! ...and oh yaah... Happy Birthday

Happy Holly Jolly Christmas Everyone!

Here are some pics from the big day. Best part: We stayed in our jammies all day and didn't even go anywhere! I loved it. It was awesome! AND.. we got a puppy!


London holding our Goldendoodle puppy - that still has no name.



Ryder trying out his new sled and Macey waiting her turn



London, Bode & Carter (adjusting London's new Snowboard)



This picture was actually a few days before Christmas, when Mimi & Poppy came over.

I am glad the gifts and the hustle & bustle of Christmas is over but I still want to savor the lights - and especially the sleeping in since the kids are out of school. Getting ready for Christmas is always so crazy. I even tried to go simple this year, and did, but was still wrapped up in the mayhem.

I even sort-of forgot Macey's first birthday! The 22nd. Poor girl! I figured she doesn't know any better yet, but we will have a little party for her soon now that Christmas is over and Mimi is back in town. It's all about the photo op really - what does she know? She is only 1. So... I will soon be making a pink birthday cake with some girly theme - which I have NEVER done before - YAY! Any cute ideas? The barbie cake is probably over-kill for the first b-day huh? I'll have to save that for an age when she can actually appreciate it.

I just got home from cleaning the LDS Conference Center. In case you aren't familiar with the process... different LDS wards are assigned to help with the cleaning periodically. The building is approximately 1.5 million square feet! They only have 16 employees to clean it. That is 9375 square feet per person! So using volunteers is a good way to keep the place spick & span. It is usually a late night job, like 9 p.m. til midnight, which works perfect for me! (Thus the late/early post.)

I have done it a couple of times and totally enjoy it!
This is why:

1. I didn't have to put any kids to bed - probably my most dreaded task of the day.
2. Got to get away and have some quiet, ME time.
3. Got to actually see the Christmas lights on Temple Square - from the Roof of the Conference Center.
4. It felt good to serve and simply made my happy.

Yes, I LOVE to clean - when it is not my house. But tonight I specifically had the dusting assignment. Way easy! I got to use the cool swiffer duster and dusted everything in sight, even though it was mostly dust free anyway. My favorite part was dusting the sculptures. I got to examine So MANY of them (and paintings too) as I was wiping away any little remnants of dust. I felt like I was in a museum but I got to cross the "Do Not Enter Zone" and touch the pieces even when the sign said "Thank you for not touching".


Mahonri Young
Arnold Frieberg

Dennis Smith

& several by Avard Fairbanks and many, many more artists.

(I had a hard time finding pics online of the exact pieces I loved.)

You'll have to go there and admire them yourself.

Never would I be able to notice and take the time to admire at these beautiful works of art so carefully. I was touched by the talent of these amazing artists and especially by the pieces with children. They were so full of joy and love. I find it funny that during my treasured ME time, away from my kids, I found myself constantly thinking about them, and what a blessing they are to me. Man! My life before kids seems so long ago, and so empty. (No offense Carter.) Even though I may complain and feel like I live in chaos, I LOVE it and would NEVER change it. I think tonight, I finally felt the true spirit of Christmas. Better late than never.


A little Peace, Service and Love - for my kids. (Even if I did forget a birthday.)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Hey Dest! Christmas birthdays are so hard! Alex's is the 23rd and I have experimented over the last 3 years different ways to celebrate...Can't do it too close to Christmas or they think everyone opening their christmas presents is actually opening birthday presents ....make sense? So this year, I got all of his family parties and everything out of the way about 2 weeks before Christmas and it was perfect. Then we just did a little family thing on his actual birthday! It was perfect! And no, Macey will totally not even know that her bday is celebrated a week or two later!

Jessica & K.C. said...

I can't believe how big everyone looks! It is amazing how much things change in just a couple of months...Macey is SO BIG! I bet you all love that dog and there is nothing better than an all day PJ party on Christmas:) We miss you all!!

Amber said...

Cute puppy! Macey is looking so much older. So cute.
Sounds like a neat thing to clean the conference center. I wish I lived close enough to do that. I enjoyed this post.

Halloween 2008