Ugghh! It has been one of those days. Those days that the older generations of women stand back at the grocery store and watch with a smile and then say "Eventually, you'll miss these days". I think to myself... "Will I? Really? You've got to be kidding me!"
The middle of the night wakings of a 13 month old and a desperately yelping puppy. "Seriously? I'm gonna miss THIS?" How do you comfort a crying baby while cleaning up stinky, runny poop inside a dog crate AND keep the puppy out of the way at the same time - without waking up the entire house? (Poor puppy has had diarrhea for 2 days) It's 3:30 a.m. mind you - or was it 5:30 a.m., I can't get my nights straight. This has been my life the last 2 nights.
So blame it on insufficient sleep or pure grumpiness, today was one of THOSE days. I lost it. I became the 3 year old and the 6 year old, all rolled into one. Good thing for school or the 8 year old may have been involved as well. And I must add, thank heavens for at least half day kindergarten or I may have completely lost my mind today. That 3 hour break was a lifesaver, for all of us.
This is me... YELLING...
"STOP THE FIGHTING! I CAN'T HANDLE THE FIGHTING! DO YOU LIKE IT WHEN I YELL? DO YOU LIKE IT WHEN I AM MAD? WELL, THAT IS HOW I FEEL WHEN YOU ARE FIGHTING AND YELLING WITH EACH OTHER! STOP THE FIGHTING!"
I must say I didn't lose it completely. I didn't spank or hurt anyone - maybe I should have. Is that the problem?
So, come 8:00 p.m., getting the kids in bed was priority one. At least 3 of them. Too bad the 2 keep waking up the 1. Calgon... take me away! (I bet you youngsters don't remember those commercials.) So she is still crying, what to do... I hate this decision. Do I go in? Do I let her cry it out?
As I ponder what to do next, I think of the quotes on my magnet board in my kitchen. They are mostly hidden by crayon scribbled pictures and handouts from school. When I uncover them I read...
(M. Russell Ballard, Oct. 2008 General Conference)
BE TENDER AND KIND TO THEM;
DON'T BE FRACTIOUS TO THEM, BUT LISTEN TO THEIR WANTS
(Said Joseph Smith to Emma regarding their children.)
BE KIND AND TENDER TO ONE ANOTHER. FORGIVE EACH OTHER, JUST AS GOD FORGAVE YOU BECAUSE OF WHAT CHRIST HAS DONE.
(Ephesians 4:32 - the Veggie Tales Translation)
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS
BE KIND AND TENDER HEARTED
BE SUPPORTIVE OF ONE ANOTHER
TREAT EACH OTHER LIKE YOU TREAT YOUR FRIENDS
and most importantly...
LOVE ONE ANOTHER - DEEPLY FROM THE HEART
(Home Rules)
I did go and rescue her from her crib. No evidence of why she was crying. But I am holding her now and she is happy. Smiling. Babbling. Now it is peaceful, no more noise. This is my pep-talk. I think I can do this again tomorrow. I think I can... I think I can...
I know those old ladies are right. (And Trace Adkins too.) We will miss these days. The fighting, the runny noses, the temper tantrums, the middle of the night wakings, the potty training - ok, maybe not the potty training. But these are the days where we, as moms/parents, feel important and needed. One day soon, it may not be that way. As a neighbor friend of mine pointed out once, their problems get bigger as they do. Now they are simple and easy to solve. Soon their "fighting" with others will involve hurt feelings and heartbreak. This gets complicated and solving them will last more than the 5 minutes that their problems do now.
Count Your Blessings and Love One Another.
And not just say it, but actually show it and live it, deeply from the heart.












10 comments:
I am not a crying mom but my 4 year old was so naughty yesterday, I did cry at the end of the day. Blame the inversion.
with five kids seven and under, i get those days more than i'd like! And Tyler came home with a dog last week so last night i had a 2 year old NAD a puppy in bed!I love your quotes...I think I should add them to my fridge!
Thanks for sharing your feelings...it's true that we all can relate. Thanks for sharing your quotes too. I think having the bad days help to motivate us to be better moms. For the record, I don't like to yell either...but it sure gets their attention. I hope today is a better day.
Oh Dest, Im so sorry it was one of those days!! I feel like I have had a lot of them lately! Here's what seriously helped me!! I have a really good friend from college that I just reconnected with. I learned that she lost her 6 month old baby 7 months ago....very sudden. I cried for a week straight! After reading EVERY entry on her blog, I told myself that I needed to remember that "Nothing means more than this day".....I actually have those words over my garage door and they had NEVER meant more to me! Even though I am pulling my hair out because of the screaming, fighting and chaos, and have a pounding headache from all of it,...At least I have my children, they are healthy and we are happy. She talks about how her arms actually ache because she can't hold him. I get that! Holy cow! It was such an eye opener for me! ...You are an incredible mom! I don't know how you do it! I'm nervous for#4! ....and to throw a puppy into the mix is sheeeeer chaos! You are SUPER WOMAN!!! Hang in there and remember...............8 more hours til GNO!!! WAHOO!!!
IF you want to go to my friends blog, just go onto mine and she is on there, under "No Empty Chairs"...bring a box of tissues.:)
And thanks for the great quotes!! I needed them today!!
And they are now on MY fridge too!
Destiny, I wasn't listening 100% when the Trace Adkins song was playing, but I thought I heard the chorus say, "Give them hope, give them praise. Give them love for three days." Ha ha! Just three days!
Destiny,
I loved your post and quotes! As mom's we have a great responsibility to teach, love, and discipline our children. It is not an easy task.
We all have those days! You are a terrific mother and I know you know how blessed you are. Prayer is a great source of strength for us all. I will say a prayer for you today! Hope your day is a bit easier today, than yesterday.
Love and miss you!
I'm so glad you blog about these things Destiny! I think all too many moms don't talk about how it "really is"! LOL I remember seeing your first quote (about enjoying the doing not just getting it done) a while back while I visited your house and it's stuck with me. I think you are a wonderful example of what a "REAL" mom IS and SHOULD BE. You do an amazing job & you really inspire me to be a better mom.
we "privated" our blog...and I don't have your email. Let me know and I'll send you an invite!
tylerwanderson@msn.com
we "privated" our blog...and I don't have your email. Let me know and I'll send you an invite!
tylerwanderson@msn.com
Post a Comment